Here are some observations Dune has made over the years.
LEADERSHIP & MANAGEMENT
- Leadership is needed at all levels of any organization that wants to thrive.
- Success can be maximized by harmonizing leadership and management.
- Great managers lead as well as manage, while delegating effectively.
- Understanding is a key pillar of influence, which is the essence of leadership.
- Everyone has the potential to be a leader; leadership capabilities can be developed.
- Each of us has more influence in our world than we realize.
- Never underestimate the impact you can have on another person.
EFFECTIVENESS & PROFESSIONALISM
- To be more strategic, spend less time being busy.
- Pursuing excellence is more productive than obsessing over perfection.
- Learn all you can about your craft, but don’t inflict it all on your customers.
- One way to earn respect is to show respect.
- If you want better conversations, ask better questions.
- During an interview, take them for a test drive through what it would be like to work together.
- There is a time for critical analysis, and a time for keeping it really simple.
- Quality improvement requires a constant focus on understanding who our customers are, and how we can improve their lives.
- A successful journey has many progressive milestones to be celebrated and reflected on.
- Decide to be happy, then let the world support your decision.
CHANGE & GROWTH
- To be happier and more successful, be more selective of what you care about.
- Be kind to people, not because of who they are but because of who you are.
- Our circumstances don’t define us; our persistent thoughts and actions do.
- Great transformations are best launched from a compelling shared vision.
- Gratefulness is the ticket to ongoing happiness.
- To be happier and more successful, be more selective of what to care about.
- Confidence is more powerful when mixed with the right dose of humility.
- To embark on a transformational journey, we must leave known shores.
- Life takes on a new meaning when our commitment to compassion is stronger than our drive to prove we are right.
- Difficulty quitting something? Start something else.
Difficulty starting something? Quit something else.
- Treat people in a way that reflects who you want to become.
- When hearing a person talks badly about other people, I learn much about the person who is talking.
- Technology gives us easy access to information that can prove we are right. Let’s not ignore evidence that can prove we are wrong.
- Don’t compare your progress to another person’s progress, if you’re on a different journey.
- Don’t mistake kindness for stupidity – that would be foolish.
- The quality of our lives can be measured by the quality of our contributions to others.
LEARNING & TEACHING
- Fun is fundamental to efficient learning and effective teaching.
- Transformational learning can be accelerated by suspending disbelief.
- Teaching is not about content delivery; it is about perspective shifting.
- One great way to get to know someone is to observe how they treat those who are not in their circle.
- Don’t let what you know prevent you from learning what you need to know.
- The skills and lessons we learn at work apply well to our home life, and vice versa. Wherever you go, bring your whole self.
- The more questions we have, the more we learn. The more we learn, the more questions we have.
- Reflect on not only what you’ve learned, but also how you’ve learned.
MUSIC & ENTERTAINMENT
- Music is a powerful force. It can be used to unite or divide. Handle with care!
- Music is not free – it has a cost, but it also has immeasurable benefits.
- Most people love music. Most people take musicians for granted.
TIP: Learn all you can about your craft, but don’t inflict it all on your customers.
“He has a knack for engaging his students to learn by using a variety of communication methods and by offering personal insight that you can only learn over time and through experience.”
Business Analyst, Business Planning & Central Operations
City of Edmonton